Curried Parsnip Apple Soup
As you might have noticed by my last few posts we have been focusing on apples here. Last week for lunch I made one of my favorite fall soups (though its so delicious I really could enjoy it anytime of year). I used to receive an organic fruit and veggie box from Ottawa Organics and I got this recipe from their newsletter, but have slightly modified it.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbl olive oil (I substituted a few tbl coconut oil for the butter and olive oil)
- 2 lrg onions diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger (I omitted it)
- 4 med parsnips into chunks
- 1 med carrot into chunks
- 3 med apples peeled and in chunks
- 2 tbl runny honey
- 6 cups stock (I like to use just enough liquid to cover the veggies-too much stock seemed to over power the other flavours)
Heat up a pot with the oils and cook the onions till soft, next add the veggies, apple and ginger, spices and honey-stir to coat and then cover and sweat on low heat for about 15 mins. Add liquids and bring to a boil, then turn to low heat, cover and simmer till veggies are soft. Once ready blend till desired consistency and serve with a hunk of toast and a dollop of plain yogurt. Yum!!